One of today’s most promising lighting innovations is LED lighting and one of the best applications is the replacement of neon in channel letter signs with LED’s. Bakers’ Signs has replaced neon in this type of application for many customers including banks, convenience, and retail stores. In each case the customers sign appearance was improved and the operating costs reduced. Below you will find many reasons why performing an LED RETRO-FIT on your existing sign or going with LED’s for lighting on your new sign.
- LED is less fragile. Neon tubes are much more susceptible to breakage both in transit and during installation.
- LEDs can mean a lower utility bill for your customers. LED is a more efficient light source, and the electrical transformer is smaller.
- LED is a more focused light source. An LED module produces a “cone” of light, where neon illumination is emitted from all sides of the neon tube
- Installation of an LED channel letter sign can be easier, as it does not always require conduit on the secondary side.
- LED is a more environmentally friendly product. Neon tubes often contain mercury.
- LED is safer to install, service and maintain. LED is typically powered by 12 volts DC, where neon sings is powered by 4,000 – 15,000 volts AC. The high voltages required by neon present a significantly higher electrical hazard potential.